Wonky Log Cabin Quilt

This quilt has been quite a journey. It started off without any particular recipient in mind, I just wanted to make a wonky log cabin quilt. But when I gave the last quilt I made to baby Henrietta, her big brother Albie (2 years old) was very very interested in it, so I thought I’d make this one for him.

The last quilt felt a bit thin to me, so I used double thickness batting in this one. That gave me a few problems, as it didnt really stick together when basting, and so I ended up with some puckering on the back of the quilt when it was quilted. But thats evened out in the wash, I’m glad to say.

The wash! That’s when the problems really started. I didn’t prewash any of the fabrics, relying on the colour catcher sheets to do their job. I pulled the quilt out of the washing machine, and there were pink stains all over the back. Commence gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair. I didn’t have any dye remover in the house (you can be sure some is on its way to me now though!), so I put it back in the wash with about 7 more colour catcher sheets.

When it came out, the worst staining had gone, but there were new stains on the front of the quilt. Even more wailing ensued. But I left it to dry overnight, thinking I would just have to wait until the dye remover comes, and give it another wash.

But when I looked at it this morning, dry, every single stain had vanished…….. Crazy, huh??!!!

Isn’t it purty? Isn’t it perfect for a little boy? Don’t you just want to roll around on it, and drive toy cars up and down it?!

Excuse such a picture heavy post, but I’m ridiculously excited about this quilt. I found the log cabin piecing really fun and inspiring and creative. I think my next quilt (already requested by another pregnant friend!) will be log cabin too, although not the same as this one.

I must say, improv piecing is definitely the way to go for me. It gives me a real sense of satisfaction and achievement. I also really, really, really, love quilting.

This binding was the toughest bit of the quilt. I sewed and unpicked, sewed and unpicked, and in parts its really cobbled together. I made the mistake of cutting the same width binding that I did for the last baby quilt – when this one has two thicknesses of batting. Won’t make that mistake again!! Still, it looks good overall, I think.

Next project, please!

A Quilt For Baby Henrietta

Two weeks ago some very dear friends welcomed their second child into the world, this time a baby girl. I couldn’t resist the opportunity to make a baby quilt, my first one.

This is the first time I’ve ever tried free motion quilting. It was hard to begin with, but once I’d got the hang of it, huge fun. I’m not even sure I don’t prefer it to piecing.

It only took me 9 days! One day to piece it, and the rest to quilt and finish it.

I chose a modern blend of colours, greys, lemon, ivory. I love the way it came out. Not traditional, but still sweet.

The binding was one of the easiest bits to do – I followed a tutorial in the Modern Log Cabin book, which gives you instructions on how to sew the binding on by machine, all in one go. I know that’s not old school, but it worked great!

I gave the quilt to our friends yesterday, and they seemed to really love it. I hope little Henrietta will too! I made it 45″ x 60″, so that it will be big enough for her bed when she graduates from a crib.

Adventures in Quilting

I have always loved patchwork quilts. I even used to make little patchwork/embroidered pictures. But I never had the confidence to try making a Real Quilt. Until recently. And then I thought, if I can learn to make socks on 4 needles / spin my own yarn / knit complicated lace, I can sew a few seams and make a quilt!

So I did. Two quilts! A Pair. I made them both simultaneously, as I suspected that Second Sock Syndrome might have a sewing parallel.

 

I made up my own pattern. It’s sort of crooked, intentionally. I like the modern crooked/wonky style. I like lots of white space too. I picked out lots of bright fabrics, and sewed them in strips, and chopped those strips and resewed them in blocks. I didn’t use a pattern, and I made a right mess of things, but I learned by my mistakes, oh I learned.

 

 

Now they are both ready to be quilted. I have never quilted anything, and I intend to use my little sewing machine, but I refuse to be daunted. I can do this! I was all psyched to start on the weekend, and then I realised I needed a different foot, which has delayed things somewhat. Still, it gave me a chance to start on the next quilt.  

I am so excited about this, I could easily throw up. I wanted to try my hand at a real improv quilt, so I decided to give log cabin a go. So! Much! FUN!!!! Unlike the other quilts, which proceeded in slow steps – cut, cut, cut, sew, sew, sew, recut, piece, piece, piece – this one gives immediate satisfaction. (Although the first two quilts only felt slow, in fact I think I pieced them pretty fast for a beginner. They are 65″ by 85″ each, and took me 5 weeks in total.)

I cut and sewed each strip as I went along. I also trimmed and secured the ends, so that the final piecing will be fast and neat. Unlike the last two quilts, when I didn’t know any better than to sew them into 80″ wonky strips, and was then confused as to why the whole quilt top was skewed when I sewed it together, this one looks wonky and crooked, but will be square and easy to piece. Each block is 10″ square, and I’m making it 5 blocks wide by 6 blocks long. Plus borders. Instant gratification – this block took me one hour. And it felt like art, rather than a dull process. I am totally smitten.

I’m still knitting, never fear! But my progress is s.l.o.w. and there’s little to show you. Well, that’s not quite true, as I have a whole handspun stripy sock to show you, and Tony’s cable knit cardi. I should get on to that. But first, one…little….seam……