These elegant cable knit socks were inspired by a photo in Elizabeth Zimmerman's 'Knitting Without Tears'. The simple cable design runs down the centre front and back, with snug ribbing in between.
- 100g sock yarn (we used Posh Yarn Sophia 4ply, now discontinued)
- 4 x 2.25mm (US 2) needles, cable needle.
35 stitches & 46 rows, measured over 10cm, in stocking stitch.
- C6B: Slip 3 stitches onto cable needle at the back of work, knit 3, knit 3 from cable needle.
- T4R: Slip 1 stitch onto cable needle at the back of work, knit 3, purl 1 from cable needle.
- T4L: Slip 3 stitches onto cable needle at the front of work, purl 1, knit 3 from cable needle.
On 2.25mm needles, cast on 72 stitches and divide between 3 needles. Commence knitting in the round, being careful not to twist stitches. Knit in 2x2 rib (K2, P2) for 10 rounds.
* P1, (K2, P2) twice, K2, [Cable 14], (K2, P2) twice, K2, P1 *, repeat from * to *. Continue in pattern for 14cm.
Cable Pattern (worked over 14 stitches):
- Round 1: P4, K6, P4.
- Round 2: P4, C6B, P4.
- Round 3: As Round 1.
- Round 4: As Round 1.
- Round 5: As Round 2.
- Round 6: P3, T4R, T4L, P3.
- Round 7: P3, K3, P2, K3, P3.
- Round 8: As Round 7.
- Round 9: As Round 7.
- Round 10: As Round 7.
- Round 11: As Round 7.
- Round 12: As Round 7.
- Round 13: P3, T4L, T4R, P3.
Divide for the Heel:
Divide the stitches, leaving half for the heel, and setting the other half temporarily on hold for the instep. Continue in stocking stitch for 36 rows, slipping the first stitch in each row. Finish with a purl row.
Shape the Heel:
- Row 1: K19, Slip 1, K1, Psso, K1 (turn)
- Row 2: Slip 1, P2, P2tog, P1 (turn)
- Row 3: Slip 1, knit across to gap, Slip 1 before gap, K1, Psso, K1 (turn)
- Row 4: Slip 1, P to gap, P2tog, P1 (turn)
Repeat until all the heel stitches have been used.
Pick up 18 stitches along the right side of the heel; knit across the 36 stitches of the instep. Pick up 18 stitches along the left side of the heel. Arrange the heel stitches and picked up stitches evenly on needles 1 & 3, leaving the 36 instep stitches on needle 2.
Row 1: Knit the stitches on needles 1 & 3, and continue work the instep stitches on needle 2 in pattern.
Row 2: Knit the stitches on needle 1 up to the last 3 stitches, then K2tog, K1. Work the stitches on needle 2 in pattern. On needle 3, K1, SKP, then knit the remaining stitches on the needle.
Repeat these 2 rows, until you have 72 stitches again. Continue until the sock is 6.5cm less than the desired length.
Shape the Toe:
Knit the stitches on needle 1 up to the last 3 stitches, then K2tog, K1. On needle 2, K1, S1, K1, Psso, knit up to the last 3 stitches then K2tog, K1. On needle 3, K1, S1, K1, Psso, then knit the remaining stitches. Knit one round plain. Continue alternating decrease rounds with plain rounds until there are 24 stitches left, then decrease on each round until there are 3 stitches left on both needles 1 and 3, and 6 stitches remain on needle 2. Graft the toe and weave in ends.