This quilt has been quite a journey. It started off without any particular recipient in mind, I just wanted to make a wonky log cabin quilt. But when I gave the last quilt I made to baby Henrietta, her big brother Albie (2 years old) was very very interested in it, so I thought I’d make this one for him.
The last quilt felt a bit thin to me, so I used double thickness batting in this one. That gave me a few problems, as it didnt really stick together when basting, and so I ended up with some puckering on the back of the quilt when it was quilted. But thats evened out in the wash, I’m glad to say.
The wash! That’s when the problems really started. I didn’t prewash any of the fabrics, relying on the colour catcher sheets to do their job. I pulled the quilt out of the washing machine, and there were pink stains all over the back. Commence gnashing of teeth and tearing of hair. I didn’t have any dye remover in the house (you can be sure some is on its way to me now though!), so I put it back in the wash with about 7 more colour catcher sheets.
When it came out, the worst staining had gone, but there were new stains on the front of the quilt. Even more wailing ensued. But I left it to dry overnight, thinking I would just have to wait until the dye remover comes, and give it another wash.
But when I looked at it this morning, dry, every single stain had vanished…….. Crazy, huh??!!!
Isn’t it purty? Isn’t it perfect for a little boy? Don’t you just want to roll around on it, and drive toy cars up and down it?!
Excuse such a picture heavy post, but I’m ridiculously excited about this quilt. I found the log cabin piecing really fun and inspiring and creative. I think my next quilt (already requested by another pregnant friend!) will be log cabin too, although not the same as this one.
I must say, improv piecing is definitely the way to go for me. It gives me a real sense of satisfaction and achievement. I also really, really, really, love quilting.
This binding was the toughest bit of the quilt. I sewed and unpicked, sewed and unpicked, and in parts its really cobbled together. I made the mistake of cutting the same width binding that I did for the last baby quilt – when this one has two thicknesses of batting. Won’t make that mistake again!! Still, it looks good overall, I think.
Next project, please!